Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 5, 2013

WEEK 35 - Seeing students grow

One of the neatest things about teaching, I'm beginning to learn, is seeing students grow into young adults. We teachers spend 170-190 days with these students, and oftentimes build very strong teacher-student relationships. Then the year ends and the student gets a new teacher the next year, and another one the next year, etc. Before you know it, a few years have passed and you see a former student and think, "wow has he grown!" It has to be one of the coolest things I've experienced in teaching so far.

I got to thinking about this because recently I was contacted by a former student's mother. She wanted me to tutor her son Klaas this summer. Klaas was a freshman in my level 1 class when I was a student-teacher at Southwest High School a few years ago. He worked hard and spent some time in Spanish-speaking countries, and was able to skip levels 2 and 4 of Spanish, so next year he will be entering level 6 as a senior. I met with him this past Wednesday, and I was floored by his growth. Not just physically (he was very small as a freshman, but now he is taller than I am), but also in terms of maturity. He has more confidence, is very forward-thinking, and thinks deeply. His Spanish has also improved tenfold. Not only can he defend himself in Spanish, he can do it very grammatically-correct with a broad range of vocabulary! :)

I'm very excited to see what the future brings Klaas, because I know that when he graduates, he's going to go out there and do great things. The same can be said for many of my students now at Washburn. Most of these kids have no idea that they are destined for awesomeness, but we teachers often recognize it before they do. Yet, since we only get these students for a year, oftentimes we get to plant the seed but never see the flower. It is awesome when we get to see the final product, and know that we had a hand in its creation and development. Again, it's one of the most rewarding aspects of teaching I've encountered so far.

My hours for week 35:

Day Date Start End Total Hours
Sun 4/28/2013 5:30 PM 6:30 PM 1
9:30 PM 11:30 PM 2
M 4/29/2013 7:45 AM 3:15 PM 7.5
8:30 PM 9:45 PM 1.25
T 4/30/2013 7:15 AM 6:15 PM 11
W 5/1/2013 7:45 AM 6:30 PM 10.75
Th 5/2/2013 7:15 AM 6:00 PM 10.75
F 5/3/2013 7:30 AM 5:30 PM 10
Sat 5/4/2013 0
Total 54.25


1 comment: